The Foundation was established as a non-profit organization in 1991. The Foundation brings together citizens of the Town of Edinburg and the surrounding area to document and preserve their heritage. Specifically, the Foundation attempts to:
Promote and encourage preservation of the history and cultural heritage of Edinburg and promote public interest in the appreciation for the historic preservation of Edinburg.
Some of the most notable projects the Foundation has undertaken since its was established are:
The Foundation joined in a partnership with the Town of Edinburg to purchase, renovate, operate and maintain the Historic Edinburg Mill. The Mill, along with the 4 ½ acre property was purchased in February 2000 using a Transportation Equity Act for the twenty-first Century (TEA-21) Grant administered by the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT). Since that time, the Town and the Foundation have been working with VDOT and the Virginia Department of Historic Resources on the initial planning for the Mill Project. During the spring of 2000, the Mill Project received a Grant from the Shenandoah Valley Battlefields National Historic District Commission in an amount sufficient to paint the exterior of the building. In the fall of 2000 the Town was informed by VDOT that the Mill Project was awarded a second TEA-21 Grant. In 2001, an additional Grant was received from the Shenandoah Valley Battlefield Foundation.
The Mill is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as an individual property and it is located in the Edinburg Historic District, which is also on the National Register. The Mill is also a designated Virginia Historic Landmark. The Town had a historic preservation easement placed on the property that is held by the Department of Historic Resources. It is one of the few mills along the historic Valley Pike (Rt. 11) to survive the Civil War and serves as a prominent and scenic resource along this route, which is a designated Virginia Scenic By-way.
The Edinburg Heritage Foundation has adapted the Mill and created a true destination in Edinburg. The facility houses a museum with exhibits dedicated to the history of the Town, the history of the Mill and the history of transportation in the Shenandoah Valley. The Museum also has a 50-seat theater featuring a locally produced film entitled "The Burning", based on the book by John Heatwole. In addition to the Museum, a gift shop, retail shops, a restaurant, a wine shop and a visitor center are in operation.
Foundation officers are as follows:
President: Clyde Beachy
Vice President: Janet Wagniere
Treasurer & St. Paul's Trustee: Dan Harshman
Secretary: Sallie Raynor
Members of the Foundation's Board of Directors:
Sandra Armentrout, Susan Beazley, Gloria Boone, Leigh Devier, Kathy Gwyn, Shelby Hollar, Robin Layman, Tracy Miller, Cynthia
Morris, Donna Smith and Ann Youell.
Member Emeritus: Jean Allen Davis
Founder: Mary Ann Williamson (1929-2014)
Anyone interested in joining the Foundation and receiving the monthly newsletter can do so by sending $15 for an individual membership and $25 for a family membership to the address below.
For more information, please contact:
Edinburg Heritage Foundation
P.O. Box 336
Edinburg, VA 22824
or call Clyde Beachy at 540-984-9492
Top Of Page
Edinburg Masonic Lodge
Hunter Lodge No. 135 A. F. & A. M.
The first meeting was held September 24, 1855 on a warrant from the Grand Lodge of Virginia to meet and form a lodge. Hunter Lodge No. 135 A.F. & A.M. (Ancient Free and Accepted Masons) was chartered on December 12, 1855. The present lodge hall was purchased on March 20, 1869. It is located at the corner of Main and Center Street. Meetings are held the first Thursday of each month at 7:30 P.M.
The Masonic Temple is also home for the Royal Arch Chapter No. 17 which was chartered December 15, 1868. The first High Priest was H.H. Riddleberger, who later served in the U.S. Senate from 1883 to 1889. The Chapter supports the Alzheimer's program. The Royal Arch Chapter No. 17 meets the third Tuesday of the month at 7:30 P.M.
A few general comments about the organization of Masonry:
Freemasonry is the oldest and largest fraternal organization in existence. Written records date back to 1390. The Grand Lodge of Virginia is the oldest independent body in the United States.
The mission of Freemasonry is to build a better world through the process of building better men to live in it. It teaches the equality of man and the values of brotherly love, relief and truth. It also teaches and practices charity toward all who are less fortunate. The various bodies of Masonry maintain hospitals for crippled children and burned children, contribute to blood banks, fund medical research, provide college scholarships, contribute to the eye foundation for the blind and provide homes for the elderly and orphans.
All Master Masons in good standing are most welcome to share in the fellowship of Hunter Lodge No. 135 and Royal Arch Chapter No. 17.
USDA Forest Service
George Washington and Jefferson National Forests
Lee Ranger District
"Caring for the land and serving people." For over 50 years the George Washington National Forest has remained dedicated to managing resources, protecting the quality of the environment, and ensuring the productivity of the land.
Come experience this beautiful and historic land originally surveyed by George Washington, the site of the first CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) Camp in the United States, the lookout point used during the Revolutionary War and the Civil War, several furnaces from the pig iron industry era and more. Come spend some time with them and discover all that awaits you in the Lee Ranger District.
They are the national forest closest to Washington, D. C. and are located in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, between Front Royal and Harrisonburg, with acres that extend into West Virginia. Access to the forest is easy from I-81, I-66, SR 55, Rt. 211, Rt. 11, and Rt. 340.
The Lee Ranger District Office is located at 102 Koontz Street, Edinburg, Virginia, 22824. Telephone number 540-984-4101. Fax number - 540-984-8989. Office hours are Monday through Friday between 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM.
As the Great Depression swept across America, citizens and natural resources both suffered. Through the New Deal programs organized by President Roosevelt, the Civilian Conservation Corps program was born.
Camp Roosevelt, the first Civilian Conservation Camp in America was established in the George Washington National Forest on the Massanutten Mountain in Fort Valley, Virginia on April 17, 1933. Edinburg served as the primary operational supply center during the nine years of CCC program existence and CCC history and heritage are deeply embedded in the overall region.
The Camp Roosevelt CCC Legacy Foundation was formed to create awareness for the vast legacy of projects and the contribution of enrollees who labored to renew our national resources and support their families. The Foundation's mission is to promote the heritage and legacy of Camp Roosevelt and the CCC. The goals of the Foundation are to:
The Foundation is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit membership organization whose purpose is to: Remember the heritage of Camp Roosevelt and pass the legacy of the Civilian Conservation Corps to future generations.
The mailing address for the Foundation is:
Camp Roosevelt CCC Legacy Foundation
P. O. Box 341
Edinburg, VA 22824
VFW Post #2447
100 Veterans Way
Edinburg, VA 22824
Rotary Club of Mt. Jackson-Edinburg, District 7570
Edinburg Cub Scouts Pack 76
Website: www.edinburgcubscoutspack76.weebly .com